Merge platforms

General chat and support page.
GTi_bel

Merge platforms

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:38 am

I noticed PS1 and PSX
PC Engine and (Turbo)Grafx platform are separated.
These should be merged in one platform.
Or was there a reason to separate them?

thanks

gr
zap

Re: Merge platforms

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:04 pm

From what i can gather the PSX and PS1 are different machines.. However the PS1 in development was called the PSX so it kind of stuck however the PSX was released later after the PS2. Can someone help to clarify this.. I am in no way a Sony expert..

Found this online..
The PlayStation did not introduce the XMB (Cross Media Bar), the PSX (DVD+PS2) did. Even the PS2 didn't have the XMB.

The PlayStation's codename when it was in development was PSX and it stuck even after the system was released. The parts inside the PS1 when it was first released were named PSX similar to how the first 360s listed the CPU as Xenon, the Gamecube as Dolphin, and the Dreamcast as Katana. Unlike those systems people continued to call the PlayStation, the PSX.

As for the PC Engine and (Turbo)Grafx platforms i would need more information of why we should combine these.

Does the PSX play the same games as the PS1 and visa versa if so then combining them would make sense. PS1"PSX" platform..

We need to find a way of driving more players to this forum to help with these questions... Tag the forum everywhere you can on gaming sites and invite from your favorite gaming sites..

Cheers
GTi_bel

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi Shane,
Well for the Turbo Grafx-16/PC Engine they play the same. The latter is the Jap version and Turbografx-16 was launched for the US. The PAL version was also named Turbografx-16.
Like the SNES/Super Famicom and Genesis/Megadrive.
If you want to split NTSC/PAL , I guess you can leave them splitted but I wouldn't recommend it. There are already not that much players onsite. And if you do the region split, you should do it for every platform.

For me, the PSX is the Playstation or PS1 (aka PS One). All the same. But okay if you want to leave PSX as its own. I guess everyone will post under PS1 ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console)

cheers
zap

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 pm

Should the conscientious be to merge these platform i will need to write some code to get this done once we have the code we can use it on other platforms if necessary.

Will be next week i would say..

Thanks for your feedback.

Return to “The Retro Computer and Game Consoles Support & Chat”